Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Cancer has returned...

as of November 11th received results from an Endoscopy due to the fact that I was having minor nausea again. My cancer (Diffuse B-Cell Lymphoma) previously presented as an ulcerated tumor...and, unfortunately, it has again. I was immediately seen Wednesday the 12th by my Oncologist, Dr. Nichols. I told him "this wasn't part of the plan". He indicated surprise as "statistically patients with a complete negative final scan do not return" with cancer again. I asked why and, of course, we don't know anything for sure but his best educated guess was that there could have just been one tiny cancer cell remaining that wasn't picked up on the final scan and one cell duplicates to many. So here we are again. Now, the proposed course of treatment is an Autologous Stem Cell Infusion which will require approximately three to four weeks in the hospital following with several months recovery at home. Given my tolerance to previous chemo (required no nausea medicine during all six chemo cycles), my general health (fit, active, and no other negative symptoms present) and my attitude (positive as usual), the Doctor expects this will be the final trial in my journey to a cure. So, that's the plan!

What is an Autologous Stem Cell Infusion?
An Autologous stem cell infusion is a treatment that uses a patient's own stem cells to restore blood and immune cell formation after intense chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy. This treatment does not provide "graft-versus-cancer effect" commonly found with donor stem cells transplants. The stem cells are taken from the patient's own blood or marrow when in remission and frozen for later use. The stored stem cells will be returned to the patient through a vein, to help the patient's body make healthy blood cells, after very intense marrow-destroying chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy.

I will say my girls were upset to hear of my cancer's return but we have joined a family support group at the Providence Cancer Center. Scott is attending this support group with us and will attend with the girls when I am unable to join them due to my immune system recovery (and need for limited contact with others). Following our first meeting last Thursday I shared with the girls the fact that I may need to be in the hospital some this time (they do not yet know the length of time as I'm trying to ease in to this information) and that it very likely will be during Christmas. That was another blow but I am reassuring them of the memories that will be made with Aunt Margaret (who will be here for a few weeks as always) and the fun things (making cookies or crafts) they will enjoy. As of this date they seem to be doing ok with things but realities will set in a little harder I'm sure as we approach my entry to the hospital.

I want you all to know I feel confident about this procedure and the care I will be receiving. I have one of the most brilliant and highly-recognized doctors for blood cancers. I already know his staff and they know me. I have Sue Sumptner and all of her staff at the Luekemia and Lymphoma Society supporting me. And, I will be cared for at the brand-new $200 million dollar Providence Cancer Center, a state of the art facility, which has a wonderful support services center team! I am also blessed with a huge network of loving family and friends offering support too!

Family and friends are rallying the support wagons! We're getting ready to CHARGE!
I know I've only been able to speak directly to a few people as it is difficult to keep reviewing all of this information individually with everyone. Not difficult from an emotional standpoint but difficult from the standpoint of absorbing too much time. To assist the future planning of my supporting network during my recovery, I have started a yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/joansupport/ to coordinate a calendar of daily assistance needs regarding food, housekeeping, errands, outings for the girls, etc. If you have not been invited to join the group but would like an invitation, just forward a request to my email address and we can get you included.

I'm ready for this marathon to reach a cure! Thanks to all of you for your love and support. My big thanks to all of you, in advance, for the support you will be offering over the next several months to myself and my family in this race for my cure. Your positive healing thoughts and prayers are appreciated. Cards of love are always appreciated too.

Big hugs of love to you all.

No comments: