Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day + 15

It's official! My blood counts have come up and I'm going home tomorrow!
Yes, I'm dreaming of my bed, of my children and just getting out of this small space...view and all...there's no place like home!!! Now will begin the recovery process but one big hurdle is over and apparently I, once again, have been the perfect patient. Because I had Bone Marrow this time not stem cells, the doctor said it is commonly a slower process and usually no one is released before day 20 and up to day 25. So, prayer shawl, prayers, love, positive thoughts and all my loving community that has engulfed me with the ability to focus on healing!

Just for those who are curious, donor get to pick giving bone marrow or stem cells. Stem cells means they take "booster" shots for five days and then have them harvest all the excess stem cells via IV (which seems the least invasive). Bone Marrow means the person undergoes a minor surgical procedure, going under anesthesia so they are knocked out while the team basically takes 100 bone marrow shots into their large bones to collect direct marrow. That means my donor really is feeling it for the next month...what a brave and courageous thing for her to do....it feels my eyes with tears to think a total stranger did this and is saving my life (pause and say a thank you prayer to her). I won't be able to find out who she is until at least two years (I guess if she approved me being able to contact...figure I'll cross that bridge when the time comes). By the way, many have asked about being a donor. I have information pamphlets on it and will very much be a mouth-piece in the future...so anyone feel free to ask me more about it if you are interested. I can give you a pamphlet what you decide to do with it is completely up to you.

Ok, HOME TOMORROW!!! The next few days will be filled with family home-coming time and my caregiver's arrival so expect a delay before more news. Time to join lots of helping hands if you haven't yet. Lots of ways to support but the biggest is your gifts of prayers and love. Thank you!

1 comment:

pcadams@cbbmail.com said...

Yes, God bless your donor. It is a very painful process for them. It is a true gift of love from a fellow human being. May blessing rain down on both of you. Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy being home!!
Much love,
Carol