Friday, February 27, 2009

Great News at +3 of 10!

Great News as my body continues to handle this treatment with ease. No major “sick” symptoms to report and in fact one of the stem cell nurses today told me my numbers are exceptional as related to my kidney function, etc. Said that sometimes other things (creatinine, albumin, potassium, etc) with transplant patients, especially Diabetics, are not at good solid levels which concerns them in regards to kidney function. Fabulously, mine numbers are fantastic and they have no concern about my kidney function being negatively affected. That definitely made my day as there is always a possibility of side effects causing issues when you are going through cancer treatment. Nothing you can really do because first battle is to fight the cancer and then deal with whatever follows. So happy news!

Day three and my blood counts have dropped accordingly to what should be expected and they will possibly continue to drop a little more in the next day or two. Then day five they start me on “neupogen” shots daily, which is the white blood growth booster. As stated before, they are looking for blood counts to rise by day 10 and then it will be a matter of days before I get released. Another week still feels a little out there for me but feeling blessed that I’m not seriously suffering too…so patience for the patient is in order. Find better patience in routine so I’m sticking to it…rise early (can’t help it with all the vitals they take around here), meditate and/or read for a while, order breakfast, move to my cozy chair (with an incredible Mt. St. Helen’s view on a clear day like today!!!), get in some reading (or computer time), eat breakfast, read and/or do email a little more (actually not on each day), then I get a visits from the chaplain or various medical team members come through, then I shower (enjoying nice long hot showers – might as well – no where to run too), and its about time for lunch. Sometimes I read myself to a nap in the afternoon. Nap seems good to help my body do its work and besides, I’m getting up between 5:30 to 6:30 am each morning and that is after the 2am vitals, the 4:30 blood draw, and the 6am vitals…..yeah, little broken sleep. Boy, that first full night sleep at home will be such a pleasant surprise, sort of like the first night, after childbirth, when the baby sleeps all the way through....what a glorious feeling that will be!

So, this is my existence for now…thanks for checking in on me.

2 comments:

lorrie schnabler said...

Dear Joan,

Thanks for the update. I am so glad you are doing so well. In German, we say that you can't keep a good girl down! Joan, you are a wonderful girl! I am glad to know you. I am so proud of you. With love, Lorrie

Anonymous said...

Wow! It is so wonderful to hear you are doing so well! I am sorry to hear you aren't getting decent blocks of sleep though. I guess it will be something to look forward to, right? Keep on keeping on...

Karen