Day +4 ....I earned a "pass" to leave the hospital! Dad took me for a beautiful drive up the Columbia Gorge, went by way of the old Highway, to see Crown Point and enjoy a picnic at Horsetail Falls (just pass Multnomah Falls). In fact, Dad made his special "shake and bake" chicken since I can't eat restaurant food. Isn't he wonderful! I also requested he bring some Ruffle (its all about the ridge!) potatoe chips....yummy, first crunchy food in days!!!
It was a wonderful trip. The wind was so fierce up at Crown Point it felt like it about to pick the truck up! Very alarming....can't imagine people living through hurricanes and tornadoes all the time. After our picnic (in the truck as I had to stay away from germs), found myself getting a little motion sickness on the way back so we hit the highway for the return trip. Replacing my face mask, Dad dropped at the door of the cancer center and I returned to my "studio". Settled down for a nap and just took it easy the rest of the night....all was well, no serious nausea issues. It was great to escape my room and get out the hospital!
Day +5....I earned another four-hour pass....this time I opted to forego the ride for a visit to my home. It was a treat to walk in to my immaculate house....everything so clean, shiny and well dusted! Thanks to my dear friend, Karen, who has volunteered to send her housekeeping crew to my home once a week during my treatment and recovery. It is a well appreciated gift!!!
Found my mailbox stuffed so I cleaned that out, filed a few things, have a load of laundry going while I update this blog. Expect next I'll go take a little rest on "my own bed"....awe, it will feel wonderful! Have only 100 pages to go on "Mr Darcy takes a Wife".
I will be returning to the hospital in a few hours, Dad will be picking up the girls from Scott and bringing them for the drive to the hospital. They will all return to my home. Dad is staying with them at the house this whole week. Thanks to all of you who signed up on the care calendar to bring over some "dinners for the kids"....that is a huge help to my Father. And a big thanks to Danyelle and Will Prouty, my super fabulous neighbors, who are getting Kathryn to and from school each day. As well a big thanks to Michelle Lyons, Mother of Eva (Lauren's best friend), for assisting with school transportation for Lauren and having Lauren for some overnights. Lauren always enjoys baking cookies and having fun with Eva and Michelle.
Thank you all for the comments, posts, cards, positive thoughts and prayers. About 10 days or so to go and I'm home!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Good heavens! I am shocked to hear you were let out into the world so early! I have faith that the doctors know what they are doing and what you can handle, and I know you are being extra careful of germ exposure, but still, the Howard Hughes in me has my toes curled! I am so happy to hear you made the most of the time out of your "studio" and that the house is in order and to your satisfaction. Let me know if you or your dad need anything special done.
Hey are you allowed to burn candles in your studio? The new Partylite fragrance, Tangelo-mojito is YUMMY! I would imagine your can't have a flame going with all the oxygen tanks around. When you get home be sure to light up as this one is my new favorite fragrance!
Take care of yourself and a gigantic hug to you, Karen
Hi, Joan,
I'm so glad you were able to get out with your dad. He is a pretty remarkable guy, and you are so lucky to have him around to help you. Your positive attitude and sunny disposition will see you through this; I'm sure that is why Don has done so well with his cancer and treatments. Very few of the expected side effects, for which we are so grateful.
Can't wait until you are home and we can come visit. We're signed up for a meal the middle of March (I figured by then I'll have found all my cooking stuff and can whip up a decent meal!). It sounds like you might be back home by then. I enjoyed a long phone visit with Margaret before she left and hope to see her the next time she's in Portland.
You are in my prayers daily, and I'm sending big bear hugs your way. Hang in there!
Love and blessings,
Judy
Hi Joan,
I have been lurking for awhile..but keeping up with your progress. I will be serving up dinner on Wen. I look forward to talking with Lauren and Kathryn. Your treatment response sounds fabulous. I hope to see you soon too.
Love,
Julie C.
I am so excited for you, that must have been pure joy! Your dad is awesome! Love you and I will see you on the 14th. Kenette
I knew you'd use your wonderful charm to escape somehow!
Congrats on getting outta there into the real world for a few... bet you were smilin' big!
Keep on doing all you can to take GREAT care of You... we are all praying for your full recovery and for your family that you'll all stay strong! I am sending lots of healing strength your way :-)
hugs, Antoinette
Post a Comment