Thursday, March 5, 2009

Its a Waiting Game!

Sorry I’ve not blogged for a few days. During the week, this wireless system seems to be more difficult to get logged onto and stay on. It's a bit frustrating when the system bumps me off just as I get logged in, or move to Comcast, sign in and once I start looking through a few emails it goes dead on me. The only thing to do is start over. After a few times I just “give”. Sometimes these events out of our control are better left alone so I opted to relax and heal during that last few days.

Life has just been a “waiting game” awaiting my blood counts to come up….very uneventful…thank goodness but boring. I’ve had some standard procedures for stem cell patients like a blood transfusion (everybody donate blood if your eligible…I now personally know how important it is) and I’ve required platelets twice. Oh, I also had magnesium yesterday so, basically, nothing out of the ordinary for a stem cell patient with a medical team who is supporting my body through the process. So just waiting for my counts to rise UPDATE today’s blood labs show things are beginning to move up! Been told that once they begin to move they rise to healthy levels fast and because I am so physically stable they expect I’ll be heading home this weekend!! I won’t mind heading home early….sitting around my home beats sitting around this hospital room!

Then we will move on to home care. Lots of hand-washing and hand-santizer for the girls and any visitors. If I venture out of the house to go the store, I’ll need to wear a mask. I can work from my home office (with out over doing it) but I’m not expecting to be able to do “live” candle parties until the Doc gives me the “go ahead”. I perceive many things will be returning to normal starting April although I will still be on the “low bacteria” diet into May. I can hardly wait to get home to eat some fresh fruit and vegetables beyond steamed carrots, green beans, broccoli and cauliflower! It has been confirmed by the dietitian that I can have fresh fruit but it just has to be washed well (just with cold water). I can’t order it in restaurants or here at the hospital because the I do not know the handling and storage meets with the dietary concern…but when I’m home I can control it….asparagus, blueberries, strawberries…..yee gads, can you tell I’m tired of this hospital menu!

Thanks to all of you who’ve sent cards, posts and loving notes…you are so appreciated!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it's all going as planned. HOORAY!! And, congrats on being able to go on some outings, too.

Mom and I send our love.

Sheryl B.

Anonymous said...

Your latest post sends very good news! I hope you can get home sooner rather than later. Thank you also for letting us know what you need and what your requirements are, dietary and germ wise. It is so great to hear you are doing so well! Keep on healing!

Karen