Thursday, March 12, 2009

2-weeks old immune system but Life is swiftly moving back to normal!

Wow! We planned for the worst and blessedly got the best! I've literally come through this whole experience with flying colors. Doctor says some people go home operating at 5% activity (exhausted and walking from bed to bath is enough), others come home some where in-between, and there are a few who head home at 95% (that's ME!!!). As I noted in the previous blog post, my immune system is only two weeks old and I'll have to have all my childhood vaccinations repeated at the one year mark. Currently, and for the next three months, I have to operate my life like a "germaphobe" with a low bacteria diet, prudent hand washing and sanitation, lysol wipes many places I go (shopping carts, gym, etc) and I'm avoiding hugs/touching (except with my children after they've washed up good).

I had my cathedar taken out yesterday (YEAH!!!) and can't use my right arm for lifting in the next two days. The dressing will be removed at my Doctor follow-up appointment next Tuesday. That is a big final step that says I finished with therapy.

So this weekend I start getting back into the swing of things as I need to fill my April calendar with business and get back to work. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal life....unofficially CANCER FREE!!!

P.S. The official "cancer free" scans will be taken at 100 days post stem cell infusion....I look forward to sharing that as official news!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Joan,

So glad you're home already! It sounds like life is treating you well and your joy at being with your family is very evident in your blog. I haven't been online for over a week as we were back in Wyoming for my friend's ordination, then Don had his chemo yesterday. I can't wait for you to meet him, he's a great guy.

I'll be calling to see what I can add to the meal I'm bringing over on Sat. Rest, relax, enjoy. Love and prayers are coming your way daily.

Blessings,

Judy

Anonymous said...

It doesn't surprise me that you are in the 95% group. After all, you were born to be alive, right? hee hee!

Enjoy the sunshine as it, indeed, is a great day to be alive!

karen

Anonymous said...

It doesn't surprise me that you are in the 95% group. After all, you were born to be alive, right? hee hee!

Enjoy the sunshine as it, indeed, is a great day to be alive!

karen

Anonymous said...

"WOW" Joan,
This is all such great news. You were born to achieve and now you have proven it again. You deserve to be in that 95% group. When you wrote about not shaking hands, the first thing I thought about was Howie Mandel(sp). We will have to do the hand butt method of greeting each other. I'm so happy all is going well for you and we will look forward to hearing the great news in 100 days. Prayers with continue on your behalf. May God continue to bless you.
Much Love, Carol

Anonymous said...

Way to go Joan! I am a friend of your sister, Margaret Ann. I have the day spa in Manzanita that she comes to when in the area and I also took a Reiki II class from her. I am so happy to hear your news.

How do I go about placing an order for candles?

Stay well and strong!

Joeanne McClave