Second opinion was with a Dr. Craig Nichols, recommended to Margaret and I by Sue Sumpter, Patient Services Manager, at the Lukemia and Lymphoma Society who stated that if she had Lymphoma "this is who I would see". Sue also stated that given her knowledge she was quite surprised to hear that I was being recommended for a Stem Cell (bone marrow) transplant as a first time diagnosis and that usually she's heard of it more often for only relapse patients. I've included a link for Dr. Nichols so you can all see his credentials...in a nutshell, he is a Lymphoma specialist and he is recognized nationally and internationally as one of the best! How grateful I for having discovered him due to Margaret and my pursuit of information.
His opinion confirmed what we already understood as standard protocol for Lymphoma which is R-CHOP therapy (see link for description). His opinion differed significantly from my current Oncologist's reommendations regarding aggressive therapy from the on-set. Dr. Nichols indicated there is not clear significant studies or clinical trials that have truly proven an improved survival or remission success with the use of aggressive therapy at first on-set. Further, only if my cancer does not respond well (diminish) to R-CHOP, then he would consider more aggressive therapies which could possibly include the Bone Marrow or Stem Cell Transplant (SCT). He expects to achieve remission without it!
What we understand from our research about R-CHOP is that the R (Rituxamab) drug is an monoclonal antibody that specifically targets the bad cancer cells and has made a huge difference in the fight against Lymphoma. And that much historic data and survival numbers are based on only CHOP therapy so many of those numbers are out-dated.
There were a few other details shared during our meeting with Dr. Nichols that made if very apparent, to my sister, father and I, that Dr. Nichols was exceptionally bright, very confident and highly knowledgable regarding Lymphoma. He was the first doctor who actually said "You're going to be OK". His comment brought me to tears Friday over lunch with Margaret as I shared and reflected upon the impact of his comment because not one Oncologist, to date that we've seen, has directly said that to me. And given his expertise and 20 year history with patients, I know he wouldn't say it if he really didn't believe it!
So, the best news here is that Stem Cell Transplant is off the table until it is deemed truly necessary. And I'm changing Oncologists and going with the Dr. Nichols. This also means he wants no further delays of my treatment and I'm expected to start chemo next week! Finally!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Joan:-)
Now you see why I run for marathons for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! They really are a top-notch organization. I am so glad you are changing doctors. I will be running 8 miles and UP hills tomorrow with my running partner Laura, who just finished a tri-athalon for the Society. We will be pushing up that hill for you and the many others that have to go through what you do!!
Julie
Joan
I will keep you in my prayers
I understand somewhat what you are going thru at this time
Cary is going thru prostrate cancer
He goes in for surgery on August 3rd for removal
We are hoping this takes care of his
I pray for strength for the girls too
Hope to see you soon Ken Ballew Salem,Oregon Kandle Krazy Member
Hi Joan!
I'm so glad you have set this site up! I've been thinking so much about you and knew it must be difficult trying to keep everyone posted -- but, you have found a way!
It sounds like Dr. Nichols is the right choice; I'm so happy you found him. Know that we are thinking of you often and you and the girls are in our prayers.
8)
Traci & Shawn
Hooray for this encouraging news! I am so happy you went for a second opinion. :)
Thank you for sharing all of your news with us.
Karen
Joan,
"You go girl!!!!!"
Much love an many prayers.... Cindy Saboe UL
Post a Comment