Thursday, July 12, 2007

Second opinions on Bone Marrow Transplant

Seeking a second opinion about the recommendation for a Bone Marrow Transplant also referred to as a Stem Cell Transplant (SCT). This will consume about 6-12 months of my life. Starting with one complete month in the hospital (primarily isolation and few visitors). The following 5 months at-home recovery I will not be able to go to public places, which includes candle shows (5-7 people in a room is too much). This is all due to my low immune system during the SCT recovery. For business, this means I'll need to be the queen of "silent" catalog parties and phone orders to keep my income flowing. For my personal life, this means I'll be wearing a mask and gloves in my own home and my children will have to wash before they kiss me. It also means I will need all of your support for the many who've asked about meals, etc. The first month home after my hospital stay (approximately December or January given no delays), I'm understanding that walking room to room will be about as much as I can take physically...so my at-home recovery will require great patience. This sounds so difficult to me as I'm not one to want to lay around and it will be a big lesson in patience and asking for help. In advance, my thanks to the many of you who will be lending a helping hand to myself and my family.

No comments: